MOM has recently changed the rules. They explain it here.
Replacing a card has a high cost now:
- Replacing a damaged card is 60 SGD
- Replacing a lost or stolen card is 100 SGD (for 1st loss) and 300 SGD for subsequent losses
It’s the duty of the employer (or an employment agency) to report to MOM and to apply for a new card. The domestic worker can’t apply on her own.
Here are the steps to follow (explained here by MOM):
- It has to be done within 7 days of damage or loss.
- Requests should be submitted through MOM’s website “WPOL” see here
- Police report is compulsory for lost card
- After submitting the request online, employer must pay the fees (online)
- The employer receives (online too) a “card replacement notification letter”
- New card is to be collected 4 days later but do note that for stolen card, the domestic worker has to retrieve her card in person.
- Documents to bring to MOM on day of collection are:
- Original passport
- Completed declaration form
- Card replacement notification letter
- Police report for stolen card
Now you may wonder who should pay the fees ?
There is no rules about that.
I think that it really depends on what happened. If inadvertedly, the employer placed the WP card in the washing machine or if the house was robbed, then employer should bear the costs. But I guess that sounds obvious to most employers!
My recommendation is that employers should highlight to their helpers upon first day of contract the fees incured. In the case where it is the full responsibility of the helper, she should be aware that she may be requested to pay for the fees.
So ladies, don’t lose or damage your WP card: it’s a precious document! May be you can ask your employer to make a copy that you carry with you at all times, leaving the original at home.