Renewing a domestic helper’s Work Permit is easy and has been recently simplified.
1. All documents can be signed a home by the employer and sent to MOM via their website WPOL (work permit online)
2. When MOM has verified all documents, a sms is sent to the employer
3. The WP is card is sent directly to the employer’s home EXCEPT when the helper hasn’t been to MOM for more than 5 years: MOM will notify such helpers to come over to MOM’s office to collect their WP card and register their fingerprints again.
Employer doesn’t need to go through the services of an agency! Just follow the steps:
Step 1: about 2 months prior to the expiry of the WP, MOM sends a Renewal Notice to the employer.
Step 2: employer purchases an insurance package with his/ her prefered insurance company. Most insurances offer this service online; employer needs to provide the reference number of the renewal notice. The insurance company will inform MOM that the employer has purchased the insurances.
Step 3: employer logs on to WPOL with his / her Singpass (Work Permit Online for employers: see here) . Please note that to log on, the employer needs to provide the helper’s WP number (it’s written on top of page 1 of the renewal notice). In the menu, the employer clicks on “renewal of WP” and then follow the indications.
Step 4: the employer receives the new WP card at home OR the helper has to collect it at MOM if her fingerprints with MOM date back to more than 5 years. Read the information transmitted by MOM and respect EXACTLY the date of collection written!
Prerequesites for WP renewal:
1. The helper needs a passport valid for more than 2 months on the date o application or renewal. Do note that the new WP will be approved for no more than the validity of the passport. So if the passport has only 3 months left before expiry, the WP will be given for 3 months only.
2. The last 6-monthly medical examination has to be done less than 5 months ago.